PLATINUM AGREEMENT WITH HIOSH
The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Hawaii Chapter, Inc. and the Hawaii Department of Labor Relations, Occupational Safety and Health Division (HIOSH) have formed a partnership to provide safe work environments
for the state's construction workforce.
This partnership recognizes the ABC Platinum Safety Program as a benchmark standard for safety. The program, also known as the STEP program, was developed and written for contractors, by contractors. Through the STEP program contractors are recognized for annual company-wide safety performance at the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum levels. Platinum level members have demonstrated the highest safety standards exemplifying the best safety practices and a proven track record of impeccable safety programs and performance.
"We have always associated ourselves with the highest safety standards. We are excited to have HIOSH recognize the high standards that we represent. With these two powerful groups joining forces, we will continue to see accident and illness rates decline
as a result from a safer jobsite for our members' employees," says Joe Kindrich, Safety Council member for ABC and President of Hicks Homes. The agreement was formally signed at ABC's annual safety dinner meeting on Thursday May 25 at Fort Shafter's Hale Ikena ballroom. Jennifer Shishido, Administrator for HIOSH, was the keynote speaker.
HIOSH Incentives to ABC Platinum Level Members.
- After the successful conclusion of a verification inspection, the contractor will receive no further programmed inspections for the next twelve months.
- Platinum members will receive unprogrammed inspections ONLY in response to reports of imminent danger, fatalities/catastrophes, and signed formal complaints from employees.
- HIOSH will use telephone and fax to handle all other complaints except in cases of reported serious hazards. HIOSH will not issue citations for non-serious violations, provided the violations are abated immediately.
- If cited by HIOSH, Platinum participants in good standing will be eligible for maximum good faith, size and history penalty reductions.
- Subcontractors benefit because during HIOSH inspections of non-participant employers, Platinum subcontractors who would have been included in the inspection, will not be included, unless the inspector observes actions requiring such inspection. For a copy of the Agreement, E-mail the ABC office at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.